RE: [Geopriv] Irregularities with the GEOPRIV Meeting at IETF 68

2007-04-19 14:38:16
At 04:31 PM 4/19/2007, Dawson, Martin wrote:
And there it is.

You're going to have to justify the accusation, John. Barbara S has
already said she thinks she'll be constrained to deploying a system such
as this - so it's certainly not a hidden agenda on her behalf. Other
than that, it constitutes about 1% of the reasons for needing a location
protocol that works above IP.

The conspiracy theory is quite simply wrong.

energy and misrepresentation doesn't make things right either....

Cheers,
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: John Schnizlein [mailto:jschnizl(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, 20 April 2007 7:13 AM
To: GEOPRIV WG; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Irregularities with the GEOPRIV Meeting at IETF
68

It is worth recalling that a subset of the AD's and GeoPriv Chairs
have pursued surprise changes to the advertised agenda before.

The agenda of the GeoPriv WG meeting at IETF 57 was distinctly
different from the one advertised, with the inclusion of a
presentation by Jon Peterson on draft-ietf-geopriv-dhcp-lci-option at
the beginning.  During Agenda Bash, I objected to the insertion of
this presentation without the knowledge of the authors, and was told
that the author not present had been told.  Jon's presentation was a
well-organized ambush with slides in which he raised a wide variety
of "concerns" about the draft that he had not (for that matter never
did) post to the WG mailing list.  On the day after the draft minutes
of the meeting were posted on September 23, 2003, I posted
clarification on the mailing list of the whitewash of the objection
to the inclusion of that ambush presentation.

With modifications, that draft became RFC 3825, and represents the
then-consensus position that hosts should obtain and control
information about their geographic locations.  The alternative that
may have been the hidden agenda at IETF 68 instead advocates that
control of a host's geographic location reside with the network
operator, and delivered through location servers.  The only
"requirement" for these location servers appears to be the business
interests of their operators, following the model of existing
cellular telephone networks.  Advocates for this server-centric model
have pushed a protocol called HELD, which may have been represented
as an IETF product (based on individual-submission drafts) to
operator groups.  Some of the same advocates have also undertaken
attacks on RFC 3825 with arcane arguments about claimed differences
between "uncertainty" and the resolution of a (latitude, longitude)
location.  After one of the chairs requested a draft to clarify the
meaning of resolution in RFC 3825, and the comments from IETF 67 were
incorporated into a WG-approved draft, the chairs have arbitrarily
labeled this draft: draft-ietf-geopriv-binary-lci-00 as "Awaiting
revision by author team".

There is reason to suspect that the maneuvers in Prague are part of
an agenda to move control over a host's location from the host to the
network operator in order to create a business of providing it.
There is a pattern with implications on the outcome of the WG, not
just procedural lapse.

John

On Apr 18, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:

> Howdy,
>       I'd like to make some comments on the issues discussed below.
Before
> [...]
> allegation.  I's a
> practical statement of what it will take to keep all of the
> participants
> committed to finishing the work.
>
> I hope the chairs and ADs can come to a rapid and amicable
> agreement on
> that, and that we can all move forward quickly.
>                       regards,
>                               Ted
>

>> Cullen Jennings
>> Jon Peterson
>> RAI Area Directors
>>

>> On Apr 17, 2007, at 8:06 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> We, the co-chairs of the GEOPRIV working group, have received
>>> private
>>> messages of concern regarding the GEOPRIV meeting held at IETF 68
>>> and
>>> the outcome of that meeting.  Upon initial investigation, we believe
>>> there were irregularities with the scheduling and agenda of the
>>> meeting that rise above the normal course of business within the
>>> IETF.  It is our opinion that at this time, it is best to bring
>>> notice of these irregularities to the working group in the interest
>>> of transparency and for the integrity of the IETF.
>>>

>>> AGENDA CHANGE
>>>
>>> The IETF process allows for agenda changes during meetings.  At the
>>> outset of the meeting, the agenda was changed substantially from the
>>> published agenda.  This change included removing the discussion of
>>> location signing and integrity and replacing it with an L7-LCP
>>> protocol consensus call.  However, evidence has arisen that the
>>> the Area Directors, Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson, met
>>> privately with
>>> some participants of the GEOPRIV working group to inform them
>>> of this agenda change.  Cullen Jennings is the Area Advisor to
>>> GEOPRIV.
>>>
>>> If such meetings did occur, we believe them to be improper and to
>>> have potentially harmed the integrity and transparency of GEOPRIV
>>> and
>>> the IETF.  It is not proper for officiates of a working group to
>>> plan
>>> working group agenda changes and privately inform only select group
>>> participants.  Doing so disadvantages participants of the working
>>> group who have not been advised of this change.  This is especially
>>> true for this particular meeting as the agenda change
>>> precipitated 15
>>> hums during the meeting.
>>>

>>> SCHEDULE CHANGE
>>>
>>> As noted ahead of time, two of the three co-chairs, Andy and
>>> Allison,
>>> were unable to attend IETF 68.  The working group co-chairs planned
>>> for this in advance by finding a substitute acting chair, Henning
>>> Schulzrinne, to aid the one co-chair, Randy, who was able to
>>> attend.  This change was publicly announced on the mailing list
>>> before IETF 68.  However, the RAI Area Directors announced a last
>>> minute (Sunday) schedule change which created an unresolvable
>>> conflict
>>> for Randy.  The Area Directors executed this schedule change over

this email is prohibited.