RE: [Geopriv] Confirmation of GEOPRIV IETF 68 Working Group Hums

2007-04-20 07:30:54
Yup.

There are no mechanisms that work when the Pringles cans come out other than
actual endpoint measuring mechanisms (like GPS), which have their own
limitations.  The standards recommend methods for users to override the
automatic mechanisms when they do things like Pringle can extensions.  There
are a set of security issues on THAT, but it's still a workable notion.

The Cablelabs guys and individual MSOs have looked at this, and most believe
they can deploy a DHCP based location infrastructure that works pretty well.
The "pretty" part is mostly the problem of cablemodem moving.  Nothing is
perfect, nor does it need to be.  I think it's good enough, although I'd
really like them to be advancing on detecting cablemodem moves.  At least
that error source is a deliberate user action which is really already
prohibited by contract.

This whole area is complex because there isn't anything that works always.
There have to be options, both for access network operators, device
manufacturers and even end users to deal with all the variations in reality
that occur.

And again, nothing is going to be perfect.

Brian