RE: Reforming the BOF Process (was Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

2007-06-15 03:23:59
Bernard,

Speaking as a participant in both the IETF and IEEE 802, there are many
things that I like in the CFI / Study Group process of IEEE. Your
proposal goes in the direction of solving one of the problems I perceive
in the IETF processes which is the lack of repeatability and
predictability (again speaking as a participant). I like it. Yet, there
are some differences:

- The five criteria in the IEEE would not apply as is. I am not sure
that 'broad market potential' should be there at all, or should be as
strong a factor as it is in the IEEE. Same with economic feasibility,
which in the IEEE often refers to the costs of hardware based
implementations
- 'Measuring interest' works differently in the IETF than in the IEEE
which is very much physical participation based, and where participants
and company votes are dully counted and registered in CFI meetings as
proof of interest.

Dan