Re: Reforming the BOF Process (was Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

2007-06-15 03:54:26
Bernard,

I think your proposal is worth thinking about. The current BOF process
is very on/off in its nature. One of the problems that it is causing is that
when work is not far enough, a BOF or WG cannot be established. This
in turns leave the perception that the IETF is completely ignoring the
topic. In reality, a denied WG/BOF might mean anything ranging from
"go away with your stupid idea" to "this is very important and interesting,
but please do <X> first so that the WG can be chartered or BOF held".
We try to give the right perception, of course, but sometimes its hard to
convince people who can only observe the existence/non-existence
of an official activity.

Jari

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) kirjoitti:
*/Bernard,/*
*//*
*/Speaking as a participant in both the IETF and IEEE 802, there are
many things that I like in the CFI / Study Group process of IEEE. Your
proposal goes in the direction of solving one of the
problems I perceive in the IETF processes which is the lack of
repeatability and predictability (again speaking as a participant). I
like it. Yet, there are some differences:/*
*//*
*/- The five criteria in the IEEE would not apply as is. I am not sure
that 'broad market potential' should be there at all, or should be as
strong a factor as it is in the IEEE. Same with economic feasibility,
which in the IEEE often refers to the costs of hardware based
implementations/*
*/- 'Measuring interest' works differently in the IETF than in the
IEEE which is very much physical participation based, and where
participants and company votes are dully counted and registered in CFI
meetings as proof of interest.  /*
*//*
*/Dan/*

*//*