Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-lemonade-rfc2192bis (IMAP URL Scheme) to Proposed Standard

2007-06-18 05:24:01
Dave Cridland <dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net> writes:

On Mon Jun 18 11:42:05 2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:
Several people consider this license insufficient to make it
possible to
include extracted material from RFCs into some implementations.

Given your reading, and given that the same thing must apply to MIBs
(which are explicitly used as an example), then it seems to me that
virtually every SNMP implementation would be in violation of the
copyright license, since MIBs are very commonly extracted from RFCs,
often with errata patched in, and used as input to implementations,
either directly or indirectly (by being used in MIB compilers and
suchlike to create compilable code).

Now, BCP78 doesn't cover third party rights - its title is pretty
clear on that - but it still includes section 7.5, at least, and more
importantly it requires that the rights you're seeking are allowed to
be granted by the IETF Trust, and the IETF Trust itself certainly
appears to be granting them, such as in the answer to Question 6 and 7
at http://trustee.ietf.org/24.html

Modulo a clarifying statement to the contrary from the IETF Trust, I'd
say I've been explicitly granted rights to snarf the ABNF from
anywhere I choose and slap it straight into my implementation,
including the ABNF from RFC2192bis, and supporting documents.

I don't see a clear license that "explicitly" grants third parties those
rights.  I see some hand waving referring to past behaviour and a link
to a FAQ without authorship or contact information.

Given this situation, my position is that modulo a clarifying statements
from the IETF Trust granting third parties the rights to extract and
modify parts of RFCs, we have to assume we haven't been granted those
rights.  That is how copyright law works, if I understand it correctly.

If the IETF Trust could publish something legally binding that covers
this, that would likely solve all my concerns with this document.

/Simon