Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-lemonade-rfc2192bis (IMAP URL Scheme) to Proposed Standard

2007-06-18 08:33:23
At 2:41 PM +0100 6/18/07, Dave Cridland wrote:
On Mon Jun 18 13:22:45 2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:
I don't see a clear license that "explicitly" grants third parties those
rights.  I see some hand waving referring to past behaviour and a link
to a FAQ without authorship or contact information.

<snip>

The IETF Trust certainly appears to have the legal ability to grant rights of
this form - that's what BCP78, as updated, is doing. Put another way, I have
no reason to think that they don't have the ability to grant such rights,
anyway.

The statements themselves explicitly state that such rights are (and have
been) granted.

Given these, I see no reason to question the legitimacy of the grant of
rights, in the absence of any statement to the contrary.

I agree with Dave's interpretation here, and I believe his is both the common
view and the common-sense view.

Simon, if you continue to disagree with this view, can I ask you resolve it by
addressing a message to the IETF Trust for clarification?  As Dave notes, trying
to resolve it by inserting new language into each document as it passes is not
exactly an optimal solution, especially where there are significant ABNF
productions which are derived from grandfathered documents.

                                regards,
                                        Ted