Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-lemonade-rfc2192bis (IMAP URL Scheme) to Proposed Standard

2007-06-18 18:28:31
Since the FAQ specifically says that code extracts can be modified, and since RFC 3978 specifically gives us the right to modify code for any purpose (explicitly not limited to the standards process) it seems that we are already covered on this, and no extra or special license is required.
(Sent to the list since I publicly said I thought we needed something extra.)

Yours,
Joel

At 06:54 PM 6/18/2007, Ted Hardie wrote:

>7. Am I allowed to publish modified extracts from RFCs?
>It is acceptable under the current IETF rules (RFC 3978)
>to modify extracted code if necessary.

(As noted, 3978 is where the IETF gets these rights from Contributors).

If ABNF is code, in other words, we are covered.

So, I believe we all also agree a human can read the RFC and code an
implementation after having done so without a copyright violation.
If the ABNF is specification, in other words, we are covered provided
the process to turn it into code is in wetware.

                                regards,
                                        Ted