Re: Autoreply

2007-07-12 19:06:43

On Jul 12, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 12-jul-2007, at 16:57, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

So I instruct here the secretariat to *automatically* take the appropriate measures with this case and any other similar one in the future, such as restricting (only) postings from the bouncing email address until the poster comes back from vacations (or whatever)

That doesn't help much, because then we all still get private vacation messages. Please kick these people off the list.

The web interface for Mailman allows subscribers to re-enable their account to receive messages when deliveries bounce too often. As such an account might become "disabled" without notice. In the subscriber's management web-page, a message could indicate that a reason for messages being disabled may also include use of auto- replies. Not sending to such an account responding with auto- responses takes care of the problem. Such auto responses will appear as duplicate messages and should be rather easy to automatically detect. Disabling the account in this manner should be painless, where of course a subscriber would then need to notice a lack of traffic. This lack of traffic should prompt them to check their account status, and click the enable radio button.

-Doug