Re: Autoreply

2007-07-13 02:11:19
On 13-jul-2007, at 8:00, Ken Raeburn wrote:

That doesn't help much, because then we all still get private vacation messages. Please kick these people off the list.

Shutting off their list email when we don't need to seems kind of drastic.

So people who are SO inconsiderate that they not only send vacation messages for messages sent to mailinglists, which is clearly extremely undesirable behavior, but even worse, send those messages to the LIST, should be spared all possible inconvenience?

Sure, that makes sense.

It shouldn't be hard to convince mailman that subjects matching patterns "^out of office autoreply:" or "^autoreply:", for example, should be rejected (bounced to sender) or discarded (distasteful to me, on the miniscule chance that someone would have the misfortune to select a subject like "autoreply: useful practice or tool of the devil?" for a legitimate message on email reply bots, that would quietly never get delivered). In fact, I suspect doing so would address 95% of the problems, without having to suspend anyone's mail.

Just unsubscribe anyone who sends autoreplies to the mailinglist and be done with it.

I'm sure we can find a former AD to provide an introduction to email filtering on the sunday before the IETF if we ask nicely for those of us who plan on taking that up as a hobby.