Re: Autoreply

2007-07-13 06:48:50

These are all highly important considerations, except for one thing:
if the offenders aren't unsubscribed, posters still receive their
messages, even if the list doesn't.

True, but the posters only receive as many responder messages as they
send to the list, which (for reasonable posters) bounds the problem
somewhat.  At worst this means dozens of useless autoresponder messages
are sent, whereas if the messages are sent to the list, we're talking
tens or maybe hundreds of thousands of useless messages.  Sure it's
irritating for those posters, but it's not horrible.  And I at least had
no trouble writing a procmail rule to discard them.

Keith