Re: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?

2007-07-31 13:30:51
Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Matt Pounsett wrote:
for the two or three wg meetings I'm
interested in, there's little point in me being at the meeting for a
whole week.

What about holding two or three meetings smaller meetings a year for
each area, and then just one big meeting for the full IETF?  That would
bring down the cost of the individual area meetings and therefore the
admission fee, make them smaller and therefore capable of fitting into a
wider range of hotels, and would likely result in fewer nights of hotel
stay for a lot of people.
Depends on how much overlap there is for attendees. How many people want
to attend meetings in both (say) security and applications,

I am certainly in this group. I don't think I am alone ;-).

or transport and RAI? This is an empirical question that could be answered
through
surveys.

Further, in-person meetings are so second-millennium. How about greater
use of text chat, voice chat, and video chat for interim meetings?

I am in favor of this, but I don't think this can replace many ad-hoc meetings on yet-non-specified topics that happen all the time during IETF meetings.

Are three in-person meetings a year really necessary if we make use of
collaborative technologies that have become common in the last 15 years?
As long as the number of face-to-face meetings is not 0, this might be something to think about.

Even further, how about breaking up the IETF into smaller, more agile
standards development organizations? We essentially did that with XMPP
by using the XMPP Standards Foundation for extensions to XMPP rather
than doing all our work at the IETF (given the large number of XMPP
extensions, doing all that work at the IETF would have represented a
denial of service attack on the Internet Standards Process). I see a few
potential benefits here:

1. Greater focus on rough consensus and running code.

2. Fewer bureaucracy headaches.

3. Reduced workload for our stressed-out IESG members. :)
+ Less cross area review.

I would rather you try to standardize XMPP extensions in IETF and see if this would actually cause any DoS. (Well, maybe not all of them. Some XMPP extensions should probably die inside XSF ;-))

Just a thought...