Re: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?

2007-07-30 12:26:51
JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
Well I was not indicating that, but simple maths can also say so.

As it seems that more people is contributing from Europe than from US, it
means for more people more traveling time, more time with immigration
issues, etc. Probably we could count from 16 to 40 hours per each
individual. Those hours can be applied to do more IETF work (it is not
necessarily the case, but in any case is time worth saving).

I support your desire to have more non-US meetings,
but maybe not for the same reasons.  There is a certain
moral responsibility to fairly distribute the travel costs
amongst the existing IETF participants.

This has to be balanced with some very practical concerns wrt/
the actual meeting location and facility itself (as the Palmer
House Hilton construction workers demonstrated for us).

My participation in the IETF is self-funded.
The airline flight is not a real factor because I can use FF miles.
The hotel is the major cost but I could choose not to stay
in the IETF hotel and significantly reduce that cost.
(Same for food and beer choices. ;-)

The meeting fee is almost the single
largest monetary expense for me, and it keeps going up.
I would rather the IETF hold sponsored meetings, than the IETF
pick interesting vacation spots all over the world to hold meetings.

I don't have any complaints with the current 'system'.
I just want to meeting fees to be as low as possible, and the locations
to be known far enough in advance so some frequent flier award seats are left.

Regards,
Jordi

Andy