Re: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?

2007-07-31 13:40:18
Cyrus Daboo wrote:
Hi Peter,

--On July 30, 2007 2:11:38 PM -0600 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org> wrote:

Further, in-person meetings are so second-millennium. How about greater
use of text chat, voice chat, and video chat for interim meetings? Are
three in-person meetings a year really necessary if we make use of
collaborative technologies that have become common in the last 15 years?

All that will do is shift the discussion from "where shall we hold the
meeting" to "what time/timezone shall we have for our conf call". Given
that we have people participating from across the globe, trying to
arrange a time that is acceptable for all participants will be just as
hard as trying to find a meeting venue acceptable to all.

You can hold multiple meetings at different times. Not ideal, but there
has to be a better way to get all interested parties in a discussion at
the same time than forcing them to burn jet fuel.

I'm not opposed to in-person meetings -- there's nothing like a good Bar
BOF. I just think that we could more productively leverage the real-time
collaboration technologies we've developed to make progress between IRL
meetings, and perhaps run more focused IRL meetings as a result.

Unfortunately we don't have scheduling tools that will help resolve
issues like that (or at least make it easier than a multiple party email
exchange/negotiation) - but some of us are working on that!

Keep up the good work!

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre