Re: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?

2007-07-31 00:52:12
Jeffrey Altman wrote:

I think the IETF needs to decide what its goals are and create a funding
structure that creates the appropriate incentives to achieve those
goals.  We want to encourage participation by the best and brightest and
especially those who have time to accomplish the work.   With the cost
of attending a single working group session now in excess of $1000 when
you include travel, overnight at the hotel, plus the flat rate meeting
fee, we are discouraging participation.

For meetings in the US, it easily exceeds 5000 USD for me (flight, hotel, several work days lost).

In my opinion you want to keep the cost of in person participation down
so that there aren't two classes of IETF participants, those who are
face-to-face and those who aren't.  The notion that NomCom eligibility
should be determined by those who attend meetings just doesn't make a
lot of sense for an organization that prides itself on only making
consensus decisions on mailing lists.  Instead, we should minimize the
challenges to active remote participation and find an alternative source
of funds.

I completely agree with that.

One notion might be to charge for publications of Internet Drafts.  $500
for a draft name including five revisions and then $25 for each
additional revision.   The rationale is that it is the draft
publications which create work for the entire IETF and the cost of that
work should be borne by those who want to see the work accomplished.

My understanding was that publishing the IDs today is mainly automatic (at least with the new tools). Charging for publication of IDs will essentially discourage people from doing so, which I think would be a not-so-good effect.

Best regards, Julian