Re: Charging I-Ds

2007-07-31 10:45:14
There is still no cost to the IETF, since review time is volunteer
time.  The costs are for the secretariat, since someone has to extract
the attachments or retrieve the drafts, get them into the database,
keep the systems up and running, etc.

And, with the advent of the online I-D submission tool (coming soon?) this will be reduced somewhat.

In fact, since we want to encourage the propagation of ideas and the development of new standards, should the IETF be paying for every I-D that is published? This would tie in with the $200 that WG chairs get for every RFC that their working group produces.

Adrian