RE: Beggars _can_ be choosers?

2007-08-01 11:26:01
The problem here does not appear to be the DHCP protocol, it is the binding
into the WiFi stack and in particular the specific software implementations.

I know all about layering, but no, DHCP does not seem to be right for wifi.
Where you have an explicit gateway device and a link level session the DHCP
data should be served within the same context.

Less points of failure that way.

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)

 -----Original Message-----
From:   David W. Hankins [mailto:David_Hankins(_at_)isc(_dot_)org]
Sent:   Wednesday, August 01, 2007 09:03 AM Pacific Standard Time
To:     ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject:        Beggars _can_ be choosers?

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 06:59:58PM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
Almost independent of the IPv6 autoconfig issues, I find it
deeply troubling that we seem to be unable to both

      * get the ducks lined up to run IPv6 fully and smoothly,
      with and without local/auto config.

      * get a DHCP arrangement (IPv4 and, for those who want
      to use it, IPv6) that performs reliably, consistently,
      and largely invisibly (if I have to worry about what a
      DHCP server is doing, it isn't working well).

and have both of those working seamlessly no later than Sunday
afternoon of the meeting.

If we can't do that, we should be very seriously reviewing our
protocols and specifications: that sort of thing shouldn't be,
in any sense, an experiment at this stage.

Wow!  Is that an "IETF First" for anyone else?

Ever since my first IETF, I was well aware that many folks held to the
unfortunate fallacy that, "because we do X at IETF meetings and it
works allright, it is therefore sufficient for the rest of the
Internet."  No matter how much people point out the error in this
thinking, it is perpetuated...as recently as the IETF 69 tech plenary,
where we were told that firewalls were becoming obsolete, evidenced by
their lack of use at IETF meetings.

There's only one word for it:  Astounding.

I have never, until now, heard the contrary fallacy attempted.  That
is, "because we did X at an IETF meeting and it did not work
allright, it is therefore insufficient for the Internet."

That's a new one on me.

Clever, but wrong: networks much larger than 1,200 laptops use DHCPv4
on a daily basis all over the Internet without similar symptoms.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.