Re: Beggars _can_ be choosers?

2007-08-01 11:11:44
David W. Hankins wrote:
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 09:12:14AM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
Told by whom?

Hain...something like that?  I can't remember.  You'll have to check
whatever minutes or recordings are up.

Start by asking the contractor, the volunteers and the IAD for a
postmortem on the operation of the network. anything else is just
speculation.

Why?

It's a lot of work, and I think we already know the conclusion, given
what we can observe as users.

It berates our volunteers and sponsors who provide us with the network
services during our stay...treating them like children that have to be
kept after school to explain themselves.

I'm one of those volunteers, operating that part of the service was not
my responsibility... My point is to both you and the people complaining
about the network, Drawing conclusions from an incomplete picture is
fraught with peril.

It embarrasses vendors who provide us with gear or software, making
them less likely to provide either.

There's a difference between trashing someone in public and describing
your issue it doesn't always involve somebody else's hardware Diplomacy
is key.

And all we're going to discover is, "It hurts when you go like this,
so don't do that then."

A useless and frivolous excercise.

At IETF 55 I had issues with all the terminal room macs coming up with
the same ip address because they all had the same hostid, between that
and some unexpected behavior from our dynamic dns implmentation I gained
some experience on running the dhcp and dns services that has been
folded back into what future hosts did for other meetings.  I don't
think the exercise is frivolous, it's only useless if we don't learn
anything from it or we overdo it and it devolves in navel gazing. Self
criticism either public or otherwise is an essential component of self
improvement.

If we wanted to stop begging, and really buy a network for every
IETF meeting, complete with SLA's and funding extensive testing
before opening it 'live', then that's one thing.  One totally
rediculous thing.

We have a network contractor who has provided services at the ietf68 and
ietf69. We pay them money, they do stuff. We also have volunteers.

But in lieu of an absence of begging, we should stop being so
choosy.

They did a good job, and we more or less had net the entire meeting.

Indeed. How do we (I'm being rather inclusive here) do better next time?

I don't think we have anything to complain about.

I ask myself fairly frequently (about 3 times a year) "What can I do to
make the next one better?" Not everyone can or should volunteer to help
but the pool of volunteers is not that big...