Re: Beggars _can_ be choosers?

2007-08-01 09:14:07
David W. Hankins wrote:

as recently as the IETF 69 tech plenary,
where we were told that firewalls were becoming obsolete, evidenced by
their lack of use at IETF meetings.

There's only one word for it:  Astounding.

Told by whom? I was one of the people at the the microphone. I work for
a firewall vendor, and I asked a question (probably rhetorical) of the IAB.

I have never, until now, heard the contrary fallacy attempted.  That
is, "because we did X at an IETF meeting and it did not work
allright, it is therefore insufficient for the Internet."

That's a new one on me.

Clever, but wrong: networks much larger than 1,200 laptops use DHCPv4
on a daily basis all over the Internet without similar symptoms.

Start by asking the contractor, the volunteers and the IAD for a
postmortem on the operation of the network. anything else is just
speculation.