Re: Beggars _can_ be choosers?

2007-08-01 14:05:25
On 1-aug-2007, at 19:34, David W. Hankins wrote:

Start by asking the contractor, the volunteers and the IAD for a
postmortem on the operation of the network. anything else is just
speculation.

Why?

So we can do better in the future.

It berates our volunteers and sponsors who provide us with the network
services during our stay...treating them like children that have to be
kept after school to explain themselves.

Nonsense. Without a good network we can't do our work properly during the meeting (if worst comes to worst we'll have to actually listen to the person presenting, <gasp>) and we're all paying enough money to attend IETF meetings to expect something professional, which includes information about what went wrong.

It embarrasses vendors who provide us with gear or software, making
them less likely to provide either.

Vendors who both build products that don't work right AND are easily embarrassed we don't need.

They did a good job, and we more or less had net the entire meeting.

I was very happy with the wireless coverage and speed (the fact that this meeting I could use 802.11a for the first time probably helped) but the DHCP stuff was quite annoying.