Re: DHCP failures (was RE: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?)

2007-08-01 13:57:13

A good start would be explaining what exactly went wrong with the
DHCP server(s) this time. "We have a problem and we're working on it"
is not all that helpful.

I wasn't directly involved in debugging this, but this is what I gathered
from later discussions:  The bottom line seemed to be a DHCP server that
was configured to use DNS UPDATE combined with a DNS server that was
configured to refuse DNS UPDATE.  The DHCP server started out working OK,
but apparently had more and more threads working on sending updates to the
DNS server and started to fail to be able to usefully send DHCP responses.
After a restart, it would serve fine for a while and then bog down again.
Each tweak to the configuration would seem to fix the problem since the
associated restart would cause service to be zippy again for a while.

  Bill