RE: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-17 13:56:00
this is silly.  any site with even a single IPv4 address can
get a /48 through 6to4, and this was chosen to match the
architected minimum allocation for a native prefix.

someone should tell ARIN that trying to mess with the address
architecture is out of their scope.

And that someone is the IETF because the IETF is the someone who created
the architecture in the first place. It would not be out of place for
some of the indivduals who were at the center of creating this
architecture to produce an informational RFC with guidance to RIRs.

Since all the RIRs have relatively open policymaking processes, it is
relatively easy for people drenched in IPv4 thinking to water down the
IPv6 addressing architecture.

If someone out there can point me to an RFC reference for the IPv6
address architecture, I will pass it on.

--Michael Dillon