Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-18 02:04:45
Tony Li wrote:

On Aug 17, 2007, at 4:05 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

It seems likely that cable mso's similar will dole out /64's to
customers one at a time, I suppose that's acceptable if not necessarily
desirable and will probably still result in the use of nat
mechanisms in
end systems.

that's COMPLETELY unacceptable.

Interesting.  Here we have a finite resource with clear, non-zero value
that is being allocated by duly appointed numbering authorities based on
need and then subsequently being allocated to end-users.  Where's the
issue?
The issue is that IPv6 is architected to give sufficient addresses to
end users, and by screwing with this ARIN is harming both deployability
of IPv6, manaegability of IPv6, and usability of IPv6 by applications.

Protocol design and architecture is not within ARIN's scope.
If something is unacceptable here, its because your expectations
aren't being met.
no, it's because they're screwing with protocol design decisions that
have already been made, and which they aren't by any stretch of the
imagination qualified to revisit.

Keith