Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-21 16:19:18

"Keith" == Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

    >> Fourth, lots of folks (me included) happen to find it
    >> convenient to use NAT between my site/house/office and my
    >> upstream provider.
    Keith> do you also find it "convenient" that NAT has effectively
    Keith> thwarted the deployment of huge numbers of new
    Keith> applications, significantly raised the cost of deploying
    Keith> others, and harmed the reliability of all applications?

I find the tradeoffs work in favor of NAT; I expect this to be true
both for V4 and V6.

        Try tftp booting two devices from behind a NAT w/o a tftp
        ALG.

        Yes this is a obscure case but is is a perfect example of
        why NAT is evil.  Things that just should work fail and
        there is no end user fix.

        With a plain firewall you can add rules to let the reply
        traffic through.

        With a NAT you have to choose which device gets to boot as
        you can't port forward both sets of replies.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org