RE: The Internet 2.0 box Was: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-23 13:59:27
At 11:23 AM -0700 8/23/07, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
If we can meet the needs of 80% of Internet users with some form of shared access there will be more addresses left for the 20% with greater needs.

I suspect that the actual percentages are more like 95% and 5%.

My Internet use is certainly not typical, it is considerably more intensive than the median user.

And as for the claim that I would saddle the Internet with a 1970s technology, I don't think that DNS counts. For a start the SRV record only appeared in the late 90s. It is much easier to rant against something when you don't bother to find out what it is.

The DNS is a 1980's technology. We used hosts.txt prior to that.

Steve