Re: The Internet 2.0 box Was: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-21 09:52:15
On 21-aug-2007, at 18:39, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

It is entirely possible to make peer to peer applications work well with NAT, it is entirely possible even to make a server application work well with NAT.

It is entirely possible to make it so that you can breathe under water. When the need arises, we build the necessary installations. That's not to say that collectively starting to live under water is a good idea, even if it solves the sea level rising problem.

Running NAT is like quoting the complete original message of the previous speaker. If some people do it but others clean up the mess, it doesn't seem that harmful. If everyone starts doing it, things get very messy very fast.

Please use NAT if that's what you want to do. Even use NAT and IPv6 together if you think that's a good idea. (I tried that just to see what would happen; it isn't.) But don't think you can sell the virtues of NAT to the IETF. "It wastes your time and annoys the pig" and all that.