Re: DNS as 1980s technology [was Re: The Internet 2.0 box Was: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

2007-08-24 07:51:52

Railing against the shortcomings of the current DNS (or any current
technology, for that matter) does little to get us to a better system.
If you know of a better approach, what are you doing to make it a
reality?

The purpose of my argument was to dispel the notion that DNS should be
critical path for every application so that it can then be used as a way
to make NAT work better.  In general, I don't believe we should make
anything in the Internet mandatory with the possible exception of IP -
and we've found that we need to replace even IP (painful though this
is).  We should keep the Internet architecture flexible enough that
there's always the potential to replace layers above or below IP.
(another limitation of NAT, though NAT's not the only thing that harms
this.)

I believe I understand how to replace DNS with a better protocol while
preserving the existing hierarchy and RRsets and DNSSEC, and allowing
graceful transition from the old to the new.  However, I'm not sure that
I have enough understanding of DNS's failings to engineer something that
addresses all or most of them - I just know about the ones I've run
into.  But I'd like to hear from other people who are interested in
replacing DNS, maybe we could collaborate on a proposal that shows how
DNS could be improved and how replacement of DNS is feasible.