Re: The Internet 2.0 box Was: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-24 13:47:14

IMHO even a traveling laptop with PPP needs to be able to subnet.
I've lost count of the number of times I've needed to do this in IPv4
but been stuck with a single /32.  I have also lost count of the number
of times I've used a laptop as a router in the days when I had a /28
routed to me.  Built in NAT capability for IPv4 that allows a single PPP
connection to be shared over wireless seems fairly common these days.
We need the equivalent capability in IPv6, just without NAT.

      agreed, like your laptop providing connectivity for your music player
      (like iPod), SIP-ready phone (like Symbian phones) and such.

or for that matter, other laptops and their users' iPods, phones, etc.