Re: The Internet 2.0 box Was: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-24 11:50:09

IN ORDER TO AVOID v6 NAT: Network administrators of any home or
enterprise network need to have, at essentially zero cost, "ownership"
or control over SOME NUMBER of bits of the v6 address space,
sufficient to uniquely address each host in their network, and such
that a change in ISP or upstream topology (the higher-order address
bits) does not require reconfiguration of end-systems OR OF ANY
TRAFFIC-DISRUPTION-APPLIANCES THAT LIVE WITHIN THAT NETWORK... many of
which implement policy restrictions based on host IP addresses.

pretty much agree, though I'm also fairly convinced that that SOME
NUMBER == 128.

in particular, I don't believe it's reasonable to expect applications to
be aware of network topology or to use different kinds of addresses
depending on the topology within which they will be used.  pairwise
address selection (selecting destination address based on source address
or vice versa) is not sufficient.

Keith