Re: The Internet 2.0 box Was: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-24 01:34:48
On Fri Aug 24 01:48:00 2007, David Conrad wrote:
I'll take ease in renumbering over application transparency for any
large network.
I find this confusing as a concern - how often do you renumber?

How often do you want to change service providers?

Well, I have a pretty good one, so not often. But even if I did, I'd still have three further answers:

1) If my network was sufficiently huge and mission-critical, I'd have multiple upstreams and an AS.

2) If my network runs public services, then renumbering is still painful, since my externally facing address[es] - those that I run the service from - are changed.

3) I change network provider less often than I talk to my mother. (Using Jingle/XMPP, a protocol which doesn't require, but certainly benefits from, network transparency and direct addressing).

I'm honestly struggling to see what the issue is here. I certainly agree that renumering is a pain, but I don't follow why renumbering is so significantly painful that it's worth breaking the network for. I'm not saying it isn't, I just can't see how it is, and would appreciate some enlightenment.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org