Re: The Internet 2.0 box Was: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-24 13:27:47

      from realworld experience in providing IPv6 services at an ISP,
      and as a customer of that service:

      /48 PA assignments to the customer is sufficient.
      for roaming clients (like travelling laptops with PPP) there's a
      different requirement.

IMHO even a traveling laptop with PPP needs to be able to subnet.
I've lost count of the number of times I've needed to do this in IPv4
but been stuck with a single /32.  I have also lost count of the number
of times I've used a laptop as a router in the days when I had a /28
routed to me.  Built in NAT capability for IPv4 that allows a single PPP
connection to be shared over wireless seems fairly common these days.
We need the equivalent capability in IPv6, just without NAT.