Re: The Internet 2.0 box Was: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-24 10:05:36
On 24-aug-2007, at 18:44, David Conrad wrote:

If you obtain address space from a service provider and you decide to change providers, you have (in most cases) two options: renumber or deploy NAT.

Nonsense.

Sigh.  I forgot to be pedantic and use the IETF-mandated terminology.

If you obtain address space from a service provider and you decide to change providers, you have (in most cases) two options: renumber your entire infrastructure or deploy *EVIL* NAT and only renumber the external infrastructure.

Regardless of the theatrics, this statement is still incorrect. As I said in my previous message, you can't keep the old addresses internally either so all of this buys you nothing.

NAT is only useful if you feel that renumbering individual machines is more cumbersome than running NAT and renumbering address translation mappings (as well as any external stuff in both cases, of course). Hosts aren't that hard to renumber with DHCP so basically this only helps you avoid renumbering your routers and other non-host devices with IP configurations on them.