Re: e2e

2007-08-22 12:40:41
On 22-aug-2007, at 19:57, Keith Moore wrote:

I have no problem breaking bounce/redirect. Yes, it has its uses, but
so do open relays, which we don't have anymore. The current levels of
mail abuse means that it's necessary to throw away a little baby with
the bathwater to keep the toxic waste out of the bath.

sorry, this is a nonstarter. being able to set a forwarding address is
extremely important, and breaking Sender is indefensible.  (Sender is
useless unless it preserves the original identity of who or what sent
the message.)

Obviously life is a bit more complex than "add PKI and signature to From: and stir". If I get a letter addressed to me from the tax people, I'll take it, regardless of how it happened to arrive. Junk mail on the other hand (the paper variety) will meet the inside of my paper bin without delay if I receive it through the mail, but if my boss gives it to me and asks me to look at it, I look at it.

With many of the current protocols, SMTP being a prime example, there are very many ways to do things that weren't foreseen, or at least not specifically accommodated, in the original protocol. That was great because it allowed innovation. Unfortunately, the most innovative people around these days are the spammers and fishers, so these days, when we come up with new protocols, we need to specifically allow everything that's good so implementations/users can reject everything else. I.e., a new mail protocol will have to address things like forwarding and mailinglists explicitly.