Re: e2e

2007-08-22 03:24:21
On 21-aug-2007, at 21:04, Tony Finch wrote:

So what you're saying is that any mail server should be able to source
messages from any mail user using any email address in any domain.
Sorry, that's not a reasonable desire in my opinion.

How else do you implement forwarding?

Well, most people understand "forwarding" to be encapsulating the original message in a new message of your own in some way, so that it appears to come from the forwarder rather than the original sender. However, there's also something called "bounce" in some clients and "redirect" in others, where the original sender is preserved in the From: line. Note though that there are other fields that are less visible that tell you where the message was sent from, such as Sender:.

I have no problem breaking bounce/redirect. Yes, it has its uses, but so do open relays, which we don't have anymore. The current levels of mail abuse means that it's necessary to throw away a little baby with the bathwater to keep the toxic waste out of the bath.