Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-22 03:04:04
On 22-aug-2007, at 4:54, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

        that's true, but when link MTU is different, it gets very nasty.

IEEE 802 standards do not permit variation in the link MTU
for Ethernet.  Attempts to persuade IEEE 802 to approve use
of jumbo-MTUs (e.g. 9180 bytes + Ethernet framing) have
consistently failed within the IEEE 802.

This is strange, I never got the original message.

So I'm not sure why this point was brought up, but let me jump in and point to my draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-00.txt

We've had some discussions on the internet area mailinglist and I'm hopeful that it will be possible to standardize a mechanism to make nodes with different MTUs live on the same subnet and use the maximum packet size supported by both neighbors rather than all nodes conforming to the MTU of the least capable system.