Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-21 08:31:22
On 21-aug-2007, at 17:22, Suresh Krishnan wrote:

I am pretty sure the EUI-64 requirement has been dropped. If not I can't see how the real world security practitioners are going to implement it.

Stateless autoconf does not automatically imply EUI-64. There are other stateless autoconf methods that do not use bare EUI-64s. See below.

Note that the sense in which the RFC 3513 quote I used refers to "modified EUI-64 format" is that the presence of the global/local bit. I.e., when this bit is 1 the other 63 bits are globally unique, when the bit is 0, no claims of uniqueness are made. This means that you can come up with a random, temporary value if you want, possibly for reasons of privacy, but then the g/l bit must be set to "local".