Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-21 08:22:58
Hi Phil,

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I am pretty sure the EUI-64 requirement has been dropped. If not I can't see
how the real world security practitioners are going to implement it.

Stateless autoconf does not automatically imply EUI-64. There are other stateless autoconf methods that do not use bare EUI-64s. See below.

The EUI-64 address reveals the hardware manufacturer and model of hardware that
I am using. There are no circumstances in which I am going to allow an attacker
to obtain that information without putting them to as much effort as I can.

You can use a modified 64 bit identifier for privacy. These identifiers run a crypto hash over the EUI-64 and keep changing it periodically. Thus you can hide your hardware identity both over time and at a specific instance of time.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipv6-privacy-addrs-v2-05
(Soon to be RFC4941)

Other mechanisms such as CGA, HBA (more to come ?) also work with 64 bit boundaries even if they are not EUI-64 based.

Cheers
Suresh