Re: RFC 1345 mnemonics table not consistent with Unicode 3.2.0

2007-08-25 00:08:43
Hi -

From: "Ben Finney" <ben+ietf(_at_)benfinney(_dot_)id(_dot_)au>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 11:33 PM
Subject: Re: RFC 1345 mnemonics table not consistent with Unicode 3.2.0
The issue remains that the informational RFC presents useful mnemonics
for many characters, and there doesn't appear to be such a thing from
Unicode or ISO. That's the point of an update to RFC 1345: it serves a
purpose that I can't see served comparably well elsewhere.

There's plenty of stuff, e.g.:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf
http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html
http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html

But the names and mnemonics aren't necessarily the same as what RFC 1345
uses, and the ones RFC 1345 uses are not what I've seen any application use.
Yes,  the recode library is already "out there", but I think it serves mainly
to underscore
the point that complete alignment is probably neither likely nor desirable.

Still, if you think this is worth doing, please write an i-d and hope for
comments!

Randy