Re: RFC 1345 mnemonics table not consistent with Unicode 3.2.0

2007-08-30 14:53:48

On Aug 25, 2007, at 7:11 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

I'd like to discuss this with the people who made the original RFC
1345 character mnemonic table. How would I get in touch with the
authors of RFC 1345?

It wasn't my intention to write a new discussion draft, but it seems
that since my purpose is significantly different to the broad purpose
of RFC 1345 that a new draft aimed at the purpose I have in mind may
be warranted. What should I read (URLs please) before doing so?

The original author of RFC1345 has his email address in the document. Other people who were involved seem to be listed in the Acknowledgements. If you recognize any of their names in postings to this list I'd suggest they might be fair game for further queries :)

For the guidelines on doing a new draft, please read http:// www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html.

I suggest that list because although the IETF hasn't done anything quite like standards for keyboard entry before, at least the Apps area seems like the closest layer. There are also i18n experts (although Randy and Doug did already reply to this thread).

If the IETF were to consider something like RFC1345 today, there would be a lot of questions like - whether a registry would be more appropriate than a static document, after all it's a set of fields that might be extended, - how one would determine whether any two implementations were interoperable, or if that's a sensible concept in this context - whether another standards organization wouldn't be a better place for detailed char set mappings

For all I know those conversations occurred with RFC1345, but we'd still have them again :)

thanks
Lisa Dusseault