Re: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

2007-08-30 12:42:44
Keith Moore wrote:

<snip>

IMHO "home network connection" is a misnomer.  I'd call it "commodity
network connection".  The size of the network that is assigned to a home
ends up being the size of a network that you can get "off the shelf",
for a fixed price, with minimal support,  and using commodity
off-the-shelf mass-marketed equipment.  Such networks, and such
equipment, are used for a lot more than just residences.

<snip>

I just wanted to confirm that Keith has made an important point here. At least in our area, the local cable company is aggressively marketing their commodity connection to businesses. In fact, I was just cold called today, and offered the "$40/month business package". I tried to explain that there is no way in hades that I would trade our fractional T1 with a /25 for a cable connection and a commodity modem/router/nat.

We are a small business, though, and I suspect that many of our peers would not understand why I'd pass on a deal that would provide "Ten times the bandwidth for one tenth the money".

Homes, schools, businesses, local government, all commodity leaf connections.

Is it inevitable that all these entities end up with another round of, hmm, "short sighted specification" connections and have to live with them for another 10-20 years?

--
David Schutt

Speco, Inc              "When all you have is a screwdriver handle,
3946 Willow St           everything looks like a nail"
Schiller Park, IL 60176
847.678.4240