Re: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

2007-08-29 14:38:38
On 29-aug-2007, at 22:21, Bill Manning wrote:

        "the" RIRs are membership organizations, with members
        consisting of the operational community.  they have to
        try and work with whatever the IETF gives them.. and when
        what the IETF provides is not operationaly feasable, they
        can and will make changes so that an operational network
        exists.

In the IETF, you need rough consensus to make decisions. I'm not entirely sure how this works in all the RIRs, but I think at least for ARIN, there is some form of voting involved. There are five RIRs, but the decisions they make often have global impact, and once one RIR has taken a course of action, the others often feel the need to follow.

Case in point is provider independent address space for IPv6. For a decade, this wasn't possible because the IETF was first studying, and after a _lot_ of effort to get things rolling, working on, mechanisms to provide multihoming benefits without injecting a prefix into the global routing table for each multihomed site. Then, with something workable within reach but not quite finished, ARIN saw fit to allow PI for IPv6 anyway, with potentially very harmful long-term results.

The IETF leadership never saw fit to say something about this during the ARIN process, and the ARIN process mostly consisted of "I'm not worried about the future and I want my PI block". The RIR policy mechanisms are simply not capable of rejecting policy changes that benefit a subset of the community, especially any subset that is well- versed in RIR matters, if such a change is against the interest of the community at large. The IETF isn't immune to this, but does a lot better than the RIRs because it has a technically capable leadership rather than an administratively capable leadership. (Maybe that also explains the differences in the financial situation between the RIRs and the IETF...)

        if
        you feel that an RIR policy is wrong, then the correct
        place to "fix" it is within the RIR community.  In ARIN's
        case, the public-policy mailing list is where you can post
        your concerns so that they will be heard by the operational
        community and you can persuade them that their operational
        practices are "second-guessing" IETF design decisions.

Good luck with that.