RE: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

2007-08-30 08:01:24
A /48 per 'site' is good, especially in the case of
businesses, for home-usage though, most very likely a /56
will be more than enough. As such IMHO having 2 sizes, one
business, one homeuser, would not be a bad compromise,
otherwise the really large ISP's, eg the ones having multiple
million customers, would need multiple million /48's and then
the address space consumption suddenly really goes really
fast. Having /56's there would slow that down a little bit. A
/56 is still 256 /64's, and I have a hard time believing that
most people even on lists such as ARIN ppml or the various
IETF ones will ever configure that many subnets  at home.

I would still like to get to the bottom of this issue and understand
what things a /56 assignment size will break. I strongly suspect that
these things will not be of great importance to networks in the home,
but I would still like to know what they are and document the issues
clearly.

Also, I strongly suspect that the IETF did not consider the situation of
in-home networks in great detail when they reached the conclusion of /48
for all sites, because at that time, there were few, if any, companies
planning Internet deployments on the same scale as the phone system. I
suspect that we have grown things a bit faster than was expected.

--Michael Dillon