Re: IPv6 RIR policy [was Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all]

2007-08-29 14:58:17
Keith,

On Aug 29, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
no demonstration has been made that what IETF provided is "not operationally feasible".

Given the stunningly successful deployment of IPv6 ten years after it has been standardized, I can see how you would say this.

IPv6 is fascinating in how it has inherited many of the problems of IPv4 but in a way that isn't backwards compatible with IPv4. As such, it shouldn't be too surprising that the same operational considerations that apply to IPv4 also apply to IPv6.

also, I suggest that the RIRs are only considering operations from a narrow point-of-view.

The narrow point of view that says the network should actually work, yes. The RIRs are comprised of folks who provide or use Internet services. As such, they do sort of want the Internet to function, even if that functioning is aided by violations of IETF holy writs.

Regards,
-drc