Re: RFC 1345 mnemonics table not consistent with Unicode 3.2.0

2007-08-25 00:41:07
"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com> writes:

Ben Finney wrote:
The issue remains that the informational RFC presents useful
mnemonics for many characters, and there doesn't appear to be such
a thing from Unicode or ISO. That's the point of an update to RFC
1345: it serves a purpose that I can't see served comparably well
elsewhere.

There's plenty of stuff, e.g.:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf
http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html
http://www.unicode.org/charts/symbols.html

I can't help thinking you're missing what I'm saying about the table
of character mnemonics in section 3 of RFC 1345. It presents three
fields per table entry: a character mnemonic, the ordinal number, and
the character name. The mnemonics are sequences of ASCII characters as
mnemonics for (mostly) non-ASCII characters.

None of the links you point to above have anything like this. They
have character *names* (descriptions) and character *ordinals*
(numbers), but not the *mnemonics* (sequences of ASCII characters with
mnemonic correspondence to the entry character) that are the point of
the table I'm referring to.

If you thought I was interested merely in a correspondence between
character ordinal and name, I can see why you'd point to the
references above. But I'm specifically talking about the mnemonics
table, which I don't see improved upon outside RFC 1345.

Still, if you think this is worth doing, please write an i-d and
hope for comments!

Again, I'm hoping on this list to attract the attention of someone
closer to knowledge about what went into RFC 1345. I thank you for
your encouragement so far.

--
 \     "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute |
  `\   somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book."  -- |