Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-27 04:24:35
Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:

I don't see how such an architectural limitation can be enforced. There is no way that the IETF can prevent an ISP issuing IPv6 customers a /128 if they choose.

Not directly, but there's the indirect route: a) IETF designs IPv6 autoconfiguration. b) Linksys, D-Link, Netgear and friends make boxes that support autoconfiguration. c) ISP hand out /128s. d) Autoconfiguration doesn't work well. e) Customers call ISP support. f) ISP loses $$$. g) ISP starts issuing /48s instead.

I don't know the first thing about how IPv6 autoconfiguration works. It worked very well in my previous office. Will it work better when the router has a /48 at hand than a /64 or /128?

Arnt

I remember working with my own little  lan:

three Site Local and one tunnel networks.

radvd or SuSE 7.1 and SuSE 8.2 did expect /64

The tunnel would either give me a /64 without local router
or a /48 if I had a local router.

Today Site Local is given up. So I changed to 192.168...
addresses with 6to4 addressing.

RFC 2462 says we normally have EUI-64 addressing that is
either a funtion of the MAC address or a random number.
With EUI-64 (64 bits) the prefix must be /64 for an
autoconfigured network segment.

The tunnel used to be a /124 network segment
overlapping my /64 with ..0 the net, ..1 the other
end of the tunnel, ..2 me and ..3 broadcast.

Theoretically ..2 would have been a router for anything
in my /64, but that never worked. So practically I
ended up with a /128

If you have a LAN with servers you need predictable
addresses for your servers. Renumbering is not an
option. Site Local does not exist any longer. 182.168..
with 6to4 addressing is the only way I see. But
that means - no autoconfiguration.

Without autoconfiguration /124 and NAT is good enough
for me. But how about my aunt with her laptop?

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier