RE: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-28 18:35:53
There are two sets of issues here.

One is that routing tables take up space, so even if you allocate in /64 units
you are going to end up running out of silicon before you run out of address
space.

Another is this fetish with stateless allocation of network addresses etc. It
might have been a workable proposal when it was made but is almost certainly
irrelevant to any real world IPv6 network that is actually deployed and managed
as such.

In the real world network devices are going to have to authenticate to the
network before they are allowed to ship packets about. So eliminating the need
to maintain state in DHCP is irrelevant, the network authentication layer is
going to require rather more than 8 bytes of state, a MAC address and a session
key at the least. So recording the IP address suffix that was assigned is not
gong to be an issue.

Folk can debate whether or not default deny will happen and there will be
strong policy enforcement at every layer in the network as I propose. But
802.1x is a fact of life for many corporate users today. If home users are
going to run wireless networks of any size they are going to need to go the
same route.

Nor do I see the reason to obsess about keeping the DHCP table stateless. Its
not like a network with 64K hosts is going to be hanging off a single DHCP
server anyway.

Given that we have the space issuing a /64 and allowing folk to simply map
EUI64 addresses via some sort of cryptographic one way function (e.g. encrypt
with a 64 bit block cipher and a common network key) makes sense. But then
insisting on allocation of extra bits for subnetting strikes me as applying
1980s networking approaches in an environment where they no longer make sense,
something some people seem to be against.

I think that we will find that there are 2 sets of user. Most users will never
subnet at all and be entirely happy with a /64.

Folk who are using 'subnets' are most likely to be doing so in order to
implement security mechanisms that encode network authorization data into the
IP address. This is already quite common in the enterprise security world. Here
16 bits is not likely to be enough, 32 is more like it. Anyone playing this
game is nopt going to be using the EUI64 mapping trick either.

I don't find the idea that everyone needs a /48 is likely to apply to either
group. And if people find they need more than one /64 they can always get more.
Its not like they have to be contiguous.