Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all - /64 FIB burden oops...

2007-08-18 17:58:22
I retract what I wrote in a previous message about DFZ routers
needing to look at 64 bits of the packet's destination address.

I misunderstood the text:

LIR's may assign blocks in the range of /48 to /64 to end sites.
All assignments made by LIR's should meet a minimum HD-Ratio of
.25.

* /64 - Site needing only a single subnet.
* /60 - Site with 2-3 subnets initially.
* /56 - Site with 4-7 subnets initially.
* /52 - Site with 8-15 subnets initially.
* /48 - Site with 16+ subnets initially.

from:

  http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/ppml/2007-August/008521.html

as referring to RIRs.

This proposal doesn't lead to any greater burden on FIBs of DFZ
routers, but I still think the /48 PI end-user assignments are
pretty hard on the routers.

Each VoIP call between hosts in two /48 prefixes with 16 DFZ routers
en-route involves those routers collectively working through this
many bits:

  50 * 2 * 48 * 16 = 76,800 bits!

  - Robin