Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-08-20 02:23:11
On 20-aug-2007, at 9:57, Roger Jørgensen wrote:

I would say this entire problem is related to the fact that a /48 is a
huge amount of IP addresses and most people have a hard time to
understand why everyone, even end-users (your grandmother or any other
non-technical users) should get this amount. And at the same time it
is expected that most businesses and companys should get the same
size.

This is just asking for trouble because it is just not-logical at all
to have a one size fits all like that.

Don't forget: one size NEVER fits all.

- people that only have ONE subnet, typical home-users (end-users,
including your grandmother), they should get a  /56 or whatever else
bigger than /60 and smaller than /48.

/56 is a really bad size because people will be tempted to think it's enough and then run out AFTER they've deployed enough stuff to make renumbering hard. So...

Whatever else criteria we are might use should be possible to
formulate into one sentence, that simple.

In my opinion, we should give a /48 to everyone who wants one, no questions asked. Everyone else should get a /60. /60 is a good balance between wasting address space, standardizing on a fixed size that works well for 99% of all users and getting people to go to a larger block before they've painted themselves into a corner too much.