Re: RFC 1345 mnemonics table not consistent with Unicode 3.2.0

2007-08-31 07:35:46
Ben Finney <ben+ietf(_at_)benfinney(_dot_)id(_dot_)au> writes:

"Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com> writes:

(1) What be the point of an update to RFC 1345?  A modern developer
should be going directly to the ISO and Unicode documents for
reference.

RFC 1345 gives mnemonic strings for many useful characters, and there
are a number of character input systems that use this standard for the
purpose of standard key sequences for entering those characters.

I'm not aware of a Unicode or ISO table similar to the table of
character mnemonics in RFC 1345, leaving an update to the RFC as the
best option I can see. I'd be happy to learn of a freely-implemented
popular standard mnemonic table that is equal or better.

Hi Ben.  The Unicode Character Database files contains, at least as far
as I understand your request, a list of code points and their mnemonic
strings.  The description of the database is available from:

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html

The database itself is available from:

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/

in the UnicodeData.txt file:

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt

Unlike the IETF, the Unicode Consortium has agreed to change and now use
copying conditions on the character database that is compatible with
free software licenses (in particular, the license permits
modifications).  The license is available from:

http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html#Exhibit1

Note that unless the author of RFC 1345 agrees, you don't have similar
permission to extract the tables and use them in your implementations.

/Simon