Re: joining the IETF is luxury Re: 70th IETF - Registration

2007-09-07 07:46:29
James Carlson <james(_dot_)d(_dot_)carlson(_at_)sun(_dot_)com> writes:

YAO writes:
joining the IETF is luxury for individual.
[...]
it seems that IETF is becoming a wealthy club.

I agree it's a shame, but I disagree with your conclusions.  The IETF
isn't a membership organization.  You don't pay any dues to belong to
it, and there's no requirement to go to any meeting in order to be a
full participant.

The official business of the IETF is still conducted -- for free and
without discrimination -- on open mailing lists.  I hope it always
remains that way.

Physical attendance is a requirement to be able to participate in the
NOMCOM process in the IETF, so I would disagree that you don't have to
attend meetings in order to be a full participant.

/Simon