Re: joining the IETF is luxury Re: 70th IETF - Registration

2007-09-07 10:01:40

On Sep 7, 2007, at 12:09 PM, Glen Zorn wrote:

[gwz]
(I wonder how much the costs would go down if the meeting ended at 4PM
Thursday
instead of noon on Friday, and there was only one plenary night on
Wednesday.)
[gwz]
[gwz] Probably not at all. I only have experience with sponsoring one IETF, but in that case (& I believe generally) the meeting rooms were provided gratis. There are some perks to guaranteeing a hotel the rental of 1000+
rooms for a week or so...

In the US and Canada, the catering charge pays for the meeting rooms. Elsewhere, meeting rooms are generally charged for and catering is correspondingly cheaper. In either case, there is a charge for per day. These charges are complicated and it can be misleading to just focus on one piece and not the whole package.

One thing that could be done is to charge separately for breakfast, which is relatively expensive (but a pretty good bargain per attendee) and which not everyone uses.

Regards
Marshall

Cheers,
Adrian